Research Master's Programs - Political Sociology 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
Train researchers and professionals who have adequate theoretical and methodological instruments to understand the political processes of Ecuador and Latin America from an interdisciplinary, historical and comparative perspective. The program encourages the rigorous study of the relationships between social structures, political institutions, economic regimes and socio-political movements. Thus, it analytically and critically accompanies state construction, democratic dynamics and disputes around social inequalities in the region.
Who is it for?
To professionals of Social Sciences, Communication, Law, Humanities and related areas, with a profile oriented to teaching, research and political analysis. We are looking for students who wish to consolidate their theoretical, analytical and methodological skills to understand Latin American sociopolitical processes. Through scholarships, we encourage the application of international students, as well as from different provinces of Ecuador, who want to be linked to academic and professional networks specialized in the field of Political Sociology.
The training acquired lays the foundation for an academic career (teaching and research) and for professional performance as analysts of social and political processes in Ecuador and Latin America. Graduates may continue their professional life in academic institutions, social organizations, political institutions or in the public administration. They will also be eligible for admission to doctoral programs.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
Class scheduleMonday to Friday from 07h00 to 09h00. Some courses can be taught from Monday to Thursday from 17h00 to 20h00.
||Teoría social contemporánea|
|Sociología política de las desigualdades|
|Estado, sociedad y política|
|Área metodológica||Métodos de Sociología política 1|
|Métodos de Sociología política 2|
|Talleres de tesis I, II y III|
|Área de especialización
||Acción colectiva y movimientos sociales|
|Construcción estatal en América Latina|
|Regímenes de acumulación y ciudadanía|
|Optativas del programa**||Teoría política|
|Sociología histórica y comparada|
|Sociología de las prácticas políticas|
|Procesos democráticos en América Latina|
|Debates contemporáneos en Sociología Política|
|Lógicas del conocimiento en Ciencias Sociales|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- State configurations and power dynamics
- Social inequalities, citizenship and political structures
- Collective action, political conflict and democratic processes
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Annual tuition fee: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Profesora: Sofía Argüello - email@example.com
Asistente: María Belén Aguilar - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Argüello Pazmiño Sofía, Ph.D. Sociology, El Colegio de México, México
- Burbano de Lara Felipe, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- De la Torre Carlos, Ph.D. New School for Social Resarch, USA - University of Kentucky, USA
- Hurtado Edison, Ph.D. in Sociology, El Colegio de México, Mexico
- Ramírez Franklin, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, University of Paris VIII-Saint Denis and Complutense de Madrid
Full and associate professors
- Auyero Javier, Ph.D. New School for Social Research, EEUU - University of Texas at Austin, EEUU
- Cadahia Luciana, Ph.D. in Philosophy of History, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Herrera Miguel, Dr. Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Francia - FLACSO Ecuador
- Montesdeoca Lourdes, Dra. (c) FLACSO Ecuador
- Paladino Martín, Dr. FLACSO México - Instituto Mora, México
- Piovani Juan Ignacio, Dr. Universidad de Roma, Italia - Universidad Nacional de la Plata, Argentina
- Stoessel Soledad, Dra. Universidad de La Plata, Argentina - Universidad de La Plata, Argentina
- Vásquez Jorge Daniel, Ph.D. in Education, Universidad de La Salle, Costa Rica