Research Master's Programs - Sociology 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
The research master's degree in Sociology aims to train researchers in the analysis of social processes and practices. The program devotes special attention to the theoretical-methodological training, in order that the students acquire analysis tools and critical skills to understand a wide range of problems that cross the Ecuadorian and Latin American reality. As a transversal axis of study, this master's degree is particularly concerned with the processes of social inequality that are manifested in the interaction between globalization and local realities, between economy and society, and in the development of historical, political and social conflicts.
Who is it for?
The master's degree is aimed at professionals from the Social Sciences or similar who wish to enhance their theoretical-methodological capabilities for social research oriented to the production of knowledge about processes, institutions and social practices in Ecuador and Latin America.
The acquired training will allow a successful labor and academic insertion, as researchers, teachers and professionals capable of formulating and carrying out scientific research projects and professional activities in the fields of Sociology. They will be able to teach in Sociology and Social Sciences at the university level and for admission to doctoral programs.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|| Teoría social clásica
|Problemas en la formación del Estado Nacional en América Latina|
|Teoría sociológica contemporánea
(se escogerán 3 cursos)
|Economía y sociedad
|Sociología histórica y comparativa|
|Globalización y desigualdades sociales
|Métodos de análisis histórico y documental|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
Optativas del programa**
|Precariedad y política en las desigualdades contemporáneas
|Sociedad civil y democracia participativa
|Estudios críticos de clase, raza y género|
|Sociología de la violencia
|Sociología de la educación
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Globalization and international migrations
- Transactions, economy and common life
- Political and historical sociology
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application process' section of the online application form.
Entry ProcessAll applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Annual tuition fee: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
- Argüello Pazmiño Sofía, Ph.D. Sociology, El Colegio de México, México
- Chiasson-LeBel Thomas, Ph.D. en Ciencias Políticas, York University, Canadá
- Cielo María Cristina, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Coba Lisset, Ph.D. FLACSO Ecuador
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- Deere Carmen Diana, Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, EEUU - University of Florida, EEUU/FLACSO Ecuador
- Goetschel Ana María, Ph.D. in Social Science, University of Amsterdam, Holland
- Gómez Carmen, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, EHESS, France
- Herrera Gioconda, Ph.D. in Sociology, Columbia University, USA
- Moreno María, Ph.D. en Antropología, Universidad de Kentucky, EEUU.
- Ortiz Santiago, Ph.D. in Social Sciences, FLACSO Ecuador
- Paris María Dolores, Dra. FLACSO México
- Vega Cristina, Ph.D. in Philology, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
Full and associate professors
- Arroyo Roxana, Dra. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, España - Universidad de Costa Rica
- Borda Niño Carolina, Ph.D. Social Anthropology and Amerindian Studies, University of Saint Andrews, UK
- Cabezas Gabriela, Dra. Colegio de México
- Maher Mónica, Ph.D. Harvard University, EEUU
- Pontón Jenny, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador - FLACSO Ecuador
- Rivera Liliana, Dra. El Colegio de México-COLMEX
- Rivera Jairo, Dr. (c) FLACSO Ecuador
- Vásquez Jorge Daniel, Ph.D. in Education, Universidad de La Salle, Costa Rica
- Villamediana Virginia, Dra. (c) FLACSO Ecuador
- Zaragocín Sofía, Dra. University of Cambridge, Inglaterra