Research Master's Programs - Comparative Politics 2020
Type of training:Academic Master with research background
Face-to-face modality:First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesi
The main objective is to train researchers with theoretical and methodological skills to address the study of various social phenomena of comparative politics, understood as a subfield of Political Science.
Who is it for?
The Masters is directed to professionals in the social sciences field in general and political science in particular, interested in improving their theoretical background and methodological tools to describe and interpret the key political life of the countries of Latin America.
The graduates of the master's degree program are trained to enter the labor market as scientific researchers, university professors or public or private sector advisors. Given the emphasis on empirical analysis and the use of methodological tools to observe reality, the graduates of the master's degree program are provided with skills that allow them to also link in the field of consulting or political analysis.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|Economía política comparada|
|Teoría de la democracia|
|Investigación||La lógica de la investigación científica en los estudios de política comparada|
|Métodos cualitativos y mixtos|
|Estadística aplicada a la política comparada|
|Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Historia política de América Latina|
|Partidos y sistemas de partidos|
|Sociedad civil, movilización y participación|
|Sistemas políticos comparados|
|Cortes de justicia y legislaturas en América Latina|
|Elecciones y procesos electorales|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Institutions, government and democracy
- State configurations and power dynamics
- Political conflict, participation and State
- Democracy Quality
- Comparative political economy
- Presidentialism, legislatures and courts of justice
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Annual cost tuition: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Simón Pachano, firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: María Fernanda Almeida - email@example.com
- Basabe Santiago, Ph.D in Political Science, National University of San Martín, Argentina
- Burbano de Lara Felipe, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Carrión Fernando, Ph.D, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Curvale Carolina, Ph.D. in Political Science, New York University, USA
- De la Torre Carlos, Ph.D. New School for Social Resarch, USA - University of Kentucky, USA
- Pachano Simón, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Ramírez Franklin, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, University of Paris VIII-Saint Denis and Complutense de Madrid
Full and associate professors
- Alcántara Manuel, Ph.D. Complutense University of Madrid, Spain - University of Salamanca, Spain/FLACSO Ecuador
- Freidenberg Flavia, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain
- Meléndez Carlos, Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, USA - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Mocagatta Paolo, Moncagatta Paolo, Ph.D. Universidad Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, España - U. San Francisco de Quito
- Nunes da Silva Pedro, Ph.D. New York University, EEUU - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Olivares Alejandro, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de Chile - Universidad Católica de Temuco, Chile
- Paladino Martín, Dr. FLACSO México - Instituto Mora, México
- Ramírez José, Dr. FLACSO Ecuador - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- Sánchez Francisco, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain - University of Valencia, Spain