Research Master's Programs - History 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
The program will focus on the modern history of the Andean area, and around the areas of Political History, History of Science and Historical Memory. The mastery seeks to understand the history of the Andes in perspective connected with the regional and global, which implies a knowledge of the cultural and historical particularities of the region.
The master's degree seeks to train professionals with solid conceptual and methodological tools to perform as researchers, teachers and managers of historical knowledge. It fosters analytical and critical capacities in order to articulate empirical information with contemporary debates of historiography and social sciences in a framework of conceptual rigor and originality. Promotes research skills from which it is possible to recognize different voices, as well as the agency of minority social subjects.
Who is it for?
A graduates and professionals of the Social Sciences and Humanities with preference in those who have undergraduate studies in History and interest in research, teaching and dissemination. Applicants must possess skills in comprehensive reading of texts, in archival research and the management of different types of sources. The master's degree is addressed to those who seek to deepen theoretical methodological perspectives included in the curriculum of the master's degree, as well as in subjects that are inscribed in the lines and colloquia of the Department and in the research interests of the teachers.
Academic and applied research, teaching, public history and dissemination, museums and cultural and memory and heritage management institutions. Labor insertion in public and private entities in the design and execution of projects that promote knowledge, reflection and dissemination of history, as well as those that incorporate historical discipline into interdisciplinary projects.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
||Teoría social para historiadores
|Historia social y política de los Andes
|Historia cultural de los Andes
|Especialización||Debates de historia de la ciencia
|Debates de historia política
|Memoria e historia de los Andes|
||Aproximaciones de historia global y conectada|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Historia pública|
|Ciencia y poder en el siglo XIX
|Género e historia
|Política de la memoria
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- History of science
- Political history
- Science, knowledge and ontologies
- Environment, borders and territorialities
- Memory, city and everyday life
- Visuality, sensory and Arts
- Race, class, gender and identities
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Annual tuition fee: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Alicia Torres - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: Marcia Suárez - email@example.com
- Ardèvol Elisenda, Dra. en Antropología, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- Bermúdez Patricia, Ph.D. in New Technologies, University of Bergen, Norway
- Bretón Víctor, Ph.D. University of Barcelona, Spain
- Bustamante Teodoro, Ph.D. in Human and Natural Environment in Social Sciences, University of Salamanca
- Cañizares Esguerra Jorge, University of Texas, USA
- Chauca Roberto, Ph.D. en Historia, University of Florida, Gainesville, EEUU
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- Cuvi Nicolás, Ph.D. in Science History, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Ferraz Ana Lucía, Ph.D. University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- García Fernando, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, IDES-Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Goetschel Ana María, Ph.D. in Social Science, University of Amsterdam, Holland
- Kingman Eduardo, Ph.D. in Urban Anthropology, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Prieto Mercedes, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
- Salgado Mireya, Ph.D. in Social Science with specialization in Political Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Santillán Alfredo, Ph.D. in Social Studies, Universidad Externado de Colombia
- Thurner Mark, Ph.D. University of Florida
- Torres Alicia, Ph.D. in History of the Andes, FLACSO Ecuador
- Troya María Fernanda, Dra. en Antropología, Ecole de Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, EHESS, París, Francia
- Uzendoski Michael, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Virginia, USA
Full and associate professors
- Aljovín Cristóbal, Universidad San Marcos, Peru
- Chávez María Eugenia, Ph.D. Universidad Nacional de Medellín, Colombia
- Cortez David, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Glave Luis Miguel, Dr. Universidad Pablo de Olavide, España - Universidad Pablo de Olavide, España
- Guaderman Kimberley, Ph.D. Universidad de California, EEUU - Universidad de Nuevo México, EEUU
- Polo Rafael, Dr. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Portelli Alessandro, Dr. Universidad de Roma, Italia
- Salomon Frank, Cornell University, USA - University of Wisconsin, USA
- Sevilla Alexandra, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador
- Sevilla Elisa, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador