Research Master's Programs - Urban Studies with specialization in Geography and territorial processes 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
Who is it for?
To professionals from different disciplines and academics who are interested in specializing in urban studies with a mention in geography and territorial processes and in developing their research skills of the different urban problems applied to the academic and professional field.
Those who have a master's degree in Urban Studies with a mention in Geography and Territorial Processes have a wide labor field that develops in several areas at public and private level. They also have the ability to function as research professors in the university field. Additionally, they have the capacity to develop methodological solutions for different urban problems, with the special ability to know how to apply thinking and spatial analysis. This ability allows them to be coordinators, consultants and specialists of programs and projects at national and international level.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|Formación general||Desigualdades territoriales, pobreza y ciudad
|Economía urbana, globalización y territorio
|Sostenibilidad urbana y cambio climático
|Especialización||Geografía crítica de la ciudad y el territorio
|Análisis socioespacial de procesos urbanos y territoriales
||Métodos de investigación urbana I, II y III|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Metropolización y nuevos patrones de urbanización en América Latina
|Sistemas urbanos y redes de ciudades intermedias
|Periurbanización y relaciones campo-ciudad
|Informalidad urbana, periferias y marginalidad|
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Urban and territorial studies
- Public Policies Compared
- Social politics
- Geographical Information Science
- Inequalities, space justice and access to services
- Integrated spatial indicators and spatial simulation of the territory
- Urban transformations and collective action
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically excluded groups.
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Gustavo Durán - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: Kamila Heredia: email@example.com
- Albornoz María Belén, Ph.D. en Social Sciences, National University of Cuyo, Argentina
- Barrera Augusto, Dr. Universidad Complutense de Madrid, España
- Cabrera Barona Pablo, Dr. en Ciencias Naturales, Universidad de Salzburgo, Austria
- Córdova Marco, Ph.D. in Social Science with specialization in Andean Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Durán Gustavo, Ph.D. in Urban Studies, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Espinosa Betty, Ph.D. in Economical Science and Management, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
- Fontaine Guillaume, Ph.D. in Sociology, University Paris III, Post-doctorate in Political Science, Sciences Po, France
- Janoschka Michael, Ph.D. University of Frankfurt, Alemania - FLACSO Ecuador
- Manosalvas Margarita, Dra. en Ciencias Sociales con especialización en Estudios Políticos, FLACSO Ecuador
- Mejía Andrés, Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, EEUU
- Narváez Iván, Ph.D. in Law, Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Sabatini Francisco, Ph.D. University of California at San Francisco, EEUU
- Subirats Joan, Dr. Universidad de Barcelona, España
Full and associate professors
- Barba Solano Carlos, Dr. Universidad de Guadalajara, México - Universidad de Guadalajara, México
- Beach Derek, Ph.D. University of Southern Denmark - Aarhus University, Dinamarca
- Lora-Tamayo Marta, Dra. Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia-UNED, España - UNED
- Martí Marc, Ph.D. in Public Policy and Social Transformation, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Périlleux Thomas, Dr. EHESS, París, Francia - Universidad Católica de Lovaina, Bélgica
- Peters Guy, Ph.D. Michigan State University, EEUU -University of Pittsburgh, EEUU
- Roth André-Noél, Dr. Université de Genève, Suiza - Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Thomas Hernán, Dr. Universidad de Campinas, Brasil - Universidad Nacional de Quilmes, Argentina
- Tronco José del, Dr. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México - FLACSO México