Research Master's Programs - Socio-environmental Studies 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
The Research Master in Socio-environmental Studies aims to train researchers and professionals from a multidisciplinary approach, in the epistemological encounter between Social and Environmental Sciences, focused on the understanding of the complex relationships that are interwoven between human beings and nature mediated by political factors , social, economic and cultural. It sets out to situate contemporary environmental problems in their historical evolution, to understand the formation of environmental thought, different environmentalisms and the search for livelihoods that aim for sustainability.
Who is it for?
The Master's Degree is an academic space for research, training and extension aimed at professionals from the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, related engineering and humanities, who seek to insert themselves as researchers in academic fields, as well as those who intend to influence decision levels (public, private, non-governmental organizations, social movements, among others), in the design, planning, management and evaluation of policies and interventions in the environmental.
Research centers and universities (public and private), scope of local, regional and global environmental governance, in the state sectors (national and autonomous decentralized governments), non-governmental, international organizations. Students can be inserted into teaching and research in the socio-environmental field, as well as in the generation and evaluation of policies, environmental management, management for conservation, impact assessment and socio-environmental conflicts, and in decision-making and planning processes participatory and intercultural.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|| Ecología para las Ciencias Sociales
|Historia del pensamiento ambiental|
|Sociología de los conflictos ambientales|
Cambio climático y energía
||Métodos cualitativos de análisis de datos|
Métodos cuantitativos y geoespaciales
|Taller de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Derecho ambiental
|Desarrollo sostenible, interculturalidad y cooperación
|Evaluación de impactos ambientales|
|Teorías feministas y Ciencias Sociales|
|Teorías del desarrollo|
|Conservación de la biodiversidad y ecogubernamentalidad|
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Urban ecology
- Political ecology
- Climate change and energy
- Sustainable Development and Interculturality
- Environmental history
- Gender and environment
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Annual tuition fee: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Teodoro Bustamante - email@example.com
Assistant: Carolina Garzón - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arce Alberto, Ph.D. Wageningen University, Países Bajos
- Bebbington Anthony, Ph.D. Clark University, EEUU
- Bustamante Teodoro, Ph.D. in Human and Natural Environment in Social Sciences, University of Salamanca
- Dutt Amitava, Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, EEUU
- Falconí Fander, Ph.D. in Ecological Economics, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Fernández Juan, Ph.D. Innovation Economy, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Jácome Hugo, Dr. en Desarrollo Regional e Integración Económica, Universidad Santiago de Compostela, España
- Krainer Anita, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Lapeze Jean, Dr. Universidad de Toulouse, Francia
- Latorre Sara, Dra. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- López María Fernanda, Ph.D. in Human Geography, Universidad de Ratisbona, Germany
- Martín Fernando, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Martínez Luciano, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle, France
- Martínez Godoy Diego, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de París SACLAY, Francia
- Oosterbeek Hessel, Ph.D. Universidad de Ámsterdam, Holanda
- Paredes Myriam, Ph.D. in Rural Development Sociology, University of Wageningen, Holland
- Pérez Wilson, Ph.D. en Economía, Cornell University, EEUU
- Ponce Juan, Ph.D. in Development Studies, Institute of Social Studies, Holland
- Torre André, Ph.D. en Economía (+ Habilitation), Université Nice Sophia-Antipolis, Francia
- Vallejo María Cristina, Ph.D. in Development Economics, FLACSO Ecuador
- Vallejo Ivette, Ph.D. in Social Science, Universidade de Brasilia, Brazil
- Vera Leonardo, Ph.D. University of East London, Reino Unido
- Vos Rob, Ph.D. en Economía, Universidad Libre de Ámsterdam, Holanda
- Waldmüller Johannes M., Ph.D en Antropología y Sociología del Desarrollo, Instituto de Altos Estudios Internacionales, Suiza
Full and associate professors
- Aguiar Víctor, Ph.D. Brown University, EEUU - University of Western, EEUU
- Cajas John, M.A. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Carrillo Paúl, Ph.D. University of Virginia, EEUU - The George Washington University, EEUU
- Curiazi Roberta, Dra. Universidad de Bologna, Italia - Universidad de Bologna, Italia
- de los Reyes Juan Carlos, Dr. Universidad Karl Franzens, Alemania - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- Missaglia Marco, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Pavia, Italy
- Oleas Julio, Dr. Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador - Instituto de Altos Estudios Nacionales, Ecuador