Research Master's Programs - Development Economics 2020
Type of training:Academic Master with research background
Face-to-face modality:First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
Who is it for?
It is aimed at students with a university degree who wish to train in the field of economic development analysis. However, due to the contents of the curriculum, most of the students come from disciplines related to economics, mathematics, engineering, administration and other branches of the Social Sciences. In addition, the master's degree provides the necessary knowledge to subsequently access a doctorate in Economics. The master's degree prepares for professional careers in international organizations, NGOs, public institutions, universities and research centers.
- Teachers and university researchers. One of our main objectives is to support those students who wish to continue their PhD studies at FLACSO or at other prestigious universities.
- Analysts and researchers in study centers of different national and international organizations.
- Professionals from the private sector in research areas related to development.
- Official of international organizations, NGOs, development cooperation agencies or technical cabinets of social organizations.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|Formación general||Matemáticas avanzadas|
|Especialización||Microeconomía para el desarrollo
|Macroeconomía para el desarrollo
|Teorías del desarrollo|
||Estadística e introducción a la econometría|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Economía ecológica
|Economía, territorio y ambiente
|Economía del bienestar
|Ecomomía política internacional
|Epistemología e historia del pensamiento económico
|Economía política del desarrollo, historia y sociedad
||Economía de la innovación|
||Economía social y solidaria|
||Tópicos avanzados de economía|
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Development and public policies
- Territorial dynamics
- Environment and its relationship with the economy, territory and society
- Structure and productive dynamics
Agreement with the International Institute of Social Studies-ISS of the NetherlandsThe master's degree has an agreement with the International Institute of Social Studies of the University of Rotterdam (The Hague, The Netherlands), whose purpose is that interested students, who have a full scholarship in FLACSO, can participate in the master's program in Development Economics of the ISS. Thus, with a stay of six months and the defense of the thesis in Holland, they can obtain a double degree.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Pass a preparatory course in economic mathematics.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
CostRegistration fee: $ 500
Preparatory course: $ 60
Annual tuition fee: $ 3750
Scholarships, tuition discounts and deferred payment up to 30 installments without interest.
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 10% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Profesor: Fernando Martín - firstname.lastname@example.org
Asistente: Sofía Molina - email@example.com
- Arce Alberto, Ph.D. Wageningen University, Países Bajos
- Bebbington Anthony, Ph.D. Clark University, EEUU
- Bustamante Teodoro, Ph.D. in Human and Natural Environment in Social Sciences, University of Salamanca
- Dutt Amitava, Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, EEUU
- Falconí Fander, Ph.D. in Ecological Economics, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Fernández Juan, Ph.D. Innovation Economy, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Jácome Hugo, Dr. en Desarrollo Regional e Integración Económica, Universidad Santiago de Compostela, España
- Krainer Anita, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Lapeze Jean, Dr. Universidad de Toulouse, Francia
- Latorre Sara, Dra. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- López María Fernanda, Ph.D. in Human Geography, Universidad de Ratisbona, Germany
- Martín Fernando, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Martínez Luciano, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle, France
- Martínez Godoy Diego, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de París SACLAY, Francia
- Oosterbeek Hessel, Ph.D. Universidad de Ámsterdam, Holanda
- Paredes Myriam, Ph.D. in Rural Development Sociology, University of Wageningen, Holland
- Pérez Wilson, Ph.D. en Economía, Cornell University, EEUU
- Ponce Juan, Ph.D. in Development Studies, Institute of Social Studies, Holland
- Torre André, Ph.D. en Economía (+ Habilitation), Université Nice Sophia-Antipolis, Francia
- Vallejo María Cristina, Ph.D. in Development Economics, FLACSO Ecuador
- Vallejo Ivette, Ph.D. in Social Science, Universidade de Brasilia, Brazil
- Vera Leonardo, Ph.D. University of East London, Reino Unido
- Vos Rob, Ph.D. en Economía, Universidad Libre de Ámsterdam, Holanda
- Waldmüller Johannes M., Ph.D en Antropología y Sociología del Desarrollo, Instituto de Altos Estudios Internacionales, Suiza
Full and associate professors
- Aguiar Víctor, Ph.D. Brown University, EEUU - University of Western, EEUU
- Cajas John, M.A. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Carrillo Paúl, Ph.D. University of Virginia, EEUU - The George Washington University, EEUU
- Curiazi Roberta, Dra. Universidad de Bologna, Italia - Universidad de Bologna, Italia
- de los Reyes Juan Carlos, Dr. Universidad Karl Franzens, Alemania - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- Missaglia Marco, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Pavia, Italy
- Oleas Julio, Dr. Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador - Instituto de Altos Estudios Nacionales, Ecuador