Research Master's Programs - Communication and Public Opinion 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
Master´s program on Communication and Public Opinion seeks to train professionals with solid research tools capable of producing knowledge about communication in Ecuador and Latin America, in order to develop academic research, teaching and professional tasks, with special interest in reflection, research and construction of scientific knowledge from processes linked to political communication and public opinion.
Who is it for?
This program is directed to train academic researchers concerned in the discussion and construction of knowledge about issues, processes and communication practices. To university professors from the field of social communication, professionals and responsible of communication at all levels of public administration, private organizations and members of civil society working in the field of communication, as well as directors and journalists of mass media interested in analyzing, and theorizing their practice.
Graduates may enter academic research, university teaching and specialized advice. They will be able to produce academically and socially relevant knowledge in the field of social communication, political communication and public opinion. They can formulate problems, plans and research projects from a critical perspective, committed to the Ecuadorian and Latin American reality. They will be able to design, develop and evaluate training programs in these transdisciplinary problematic fields.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
|Formación general||Epistemología de las Ciencias Sociales
|Teorías de la Comunicación
||Medios, Comunicación y opinión pública
|Opinión pública y democracia
|Comunicación política I|
| Comunicación política II
||Instrumentos de análisis cualitativo|
|Instrumentos de análisis cuantitativo
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Comunicación y cultura|
|Análisis del discurso de medios
||Investigación de la Comunicación en América Latina|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Globalization and youth
- Means and power
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
- Bonilla Adrián, Ph.D. in International Relations, University of Miami, USA
- Cerbino Mauro, Ph.D. in Urban Anthropology, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Chavero Palmira, Ph.D. in Communication Science and Sociology, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
- Estay Jaime, Ph.D. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México - Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, México
- Mouly Cécile, Ph.D. in International Studies, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Ponce Juan, Ph.D. in Development Studies, Institute of Social Studies, Holland
- Quiliconi Cintia, Ph.D. in Political Science and International Relations, University of Southern California, USA
- Ramos Isabel, Ph.D. in Social Science, National University of Cuyo, Argentina
- Rivera Fredy, Ph.D. in Sociology, National University of Cuyo, Argentina
- Salgado Raúl, Ph.D. in Political Science and International Studies, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Sel Susana, Ph.D. University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Vivares Ernesto, Ph.D. in Politics, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
Full and associate professors
- Barrios Luis, Ph.D Universidad Carlos Albizu, Puerto Rico - City University of New York, USA
- Cabrera Lester, Doctor en Estudios Internacionales, FLACSO Ecuador
- Carranza César, Ph.D. (c) FLACSO Ecuador
- Casado Fernando, Dr. Universidad de La Laguna, España
- Follari Roberto, Ph.D. National University of San Luis, Argentina - National University of Cuyo, Argentina
- Helleiner Eric, Ph.D. London School of Economics, Reino Unido - Balsillie School of International Affairs, Canadá
- Herrera Lorena, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador
- Jaramillo Grace, Ph.D. Queen´s University, Canadá - University of British Columbia, Canadá
- Lechini Gladys, Dra. Universidad de Sao Paulo, Brasil - Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina
- Marroquín Amparo, Ph.D. Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas, El Salvador
- Montenegro Adriana, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador
- Morasso Carla, Dra. Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina – Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina
- Ravenhill John, Ph.D. University of California, EEUU - University of Waterloo, Canadá
- Shaw Timothy, Ph.D. Princeton University, EEUU - Universidad de Massachusetts, Boston, EEUU
- Tussie Diana, Ph.D. London School of Economics, Reino Unido - FLACSO Argentina
- Vásquez Werner, Dr. FLACSO Ecuador