Research Master's Programs - Visual Anthropology 2020
Type of training:
Academic Master with research background
First year of subjects, second year preparation and presentation of thesis
The program critically reviews the main debates about visual representations within anthropological theory, methodology and practice. Reflect on the material conditions of audiovisual production and the power relations that circumscribe the production, circulation and consumption of images. It considers visual technologies as ethnographic tools and as epistemic instruments of reflection. Thus, the program seeks to understand the functioning of images in contemporary society as a basis for the formulation of research projects related to the social and cultural diversity of Latin America and the Andean region. In addition, students approach audiovisual production techniques, discussions about the ethics of representation, and the meeting points between Visuality, Contemporary Art and Anthropology.
Who is it for?
The Master's degree is aimed at professionals linked to the field of social sciences, communication and visual arts, who are interested in improving their capacity for teaching and research in Anthropology and contemporary theories on visuality. It is aimed at professionals linked to NGOs, public entities and social organizations. The program is also of interest to professionals related to arts and cultural management, and is particularly interested in fostering an intercultural discussion, which favors applications of Afro-descendant, indigenous and sexual minority students.
Academic and applied research; teaching and training in anthropology and visuality, including audiovisual production; advice on issues of culture, cultural management and interculturality. Graduates of the master's degree can be inserted in national and local governmental bodies; in NGOs and private institutions; museums, archives and cultural centers, and in research centers.
Curriculum structureTo obtain the master's degree, students must study and pass ten subjects and three workshops for the preparation and presentation of thesis.
Class scheduleFrom Monday to Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Some courses will be held Monday through Friday from 07:00 to 09:00.
|Escoger entre: Antropología e historia urbana, Antropología e historia amazónica o Antropología e historia andina
|Visualidad, antropología y arte contemporáneo
|Documental: fotografía, cine y memoria|
|Técnicas de producción audiovisual I
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Cuerpo y sociedad
|Medios y cultura|
|Antropología de la representación|
|Técnicas de producción audiovisual II|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Power studies
- Science, knowledge and ontologies
- Environment, borders and territorialities
- Memory, city and everyday life
- Visuality, sensory and Arts
- Race, class, gender and identities
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Scholarships and discounts
FLACSO Ecuador has a stipend scholarship and financial assistance
policy for students admitted to their teaching programs. The policy is
governed by socioeconomic criteria and academic excellence. We have
affirmative action policies for applicants belonging to historically
- Presentation of admission application: until June 26, 2020
- Academic aptitude test: July 3
- Interviews with pre-selected: from July 8 to 21
- Selection information: until August 20
- Confirmation of acceptance: until September 3
- Registrations: September 21 to October 2
- Extraordinary registrations: October 5 to 16
- Classes start: October 19, 2020
- Ardèvol Elisenda, Dra. en Antropología, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- Bermúdez Patricia, Ph.D. in New Technologies, University of Bergen, Norway
- Bretón Víctor, Ph.D. University of Barcelona, Spain
- Cañizares Esguerra Jorge, University of Texas, USA
- Chauca Roberto, Ph.D. en Historia, University of Florida, Gainesville, EEUU
- Cuvi Nicolás, Ph.D. in Science History, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Ferraz Ana Lucía, Ph.D. University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- García Fernando, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, IDES-Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Kingman Eduardo, Ph.D. in Urban Anthropology, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Prieto Mercedes, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
- Salgado Mireya, Ph.D. in Social Science with specialization in Political Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Santillán Alfredo, Ph.D. in Social Studies, Universidad Externado de Colombia
- Thurner Mark, Ph.D. University of Florida
- Torres Alicia, Ph.D. in History of the Andes, FLACSO Ecuador
- Troya María Fernanda, Dra. en Antropología, Ecole de Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, EHESS, París, Francia
- Uzendoski Michael, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Virginia, USA
Full and associate professors
- Bilhaut Anne-Gaël, Dra. Université Paris X Nanterre, Francia - Instituto Francés de Estudios Andinos, Perú
- Burgos Hugo, Ph.D. The University of Iowa, USA - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Cortez David, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Grünenfelder Barbara, Ph.D. Cultural Anthropology, City University of New York, USA
- Hill Michael D., Ph.D. Emory University, EEUU - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Kohn Eduardo, Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, EEUU - McGill University, Canadá
- León Christian, Ph.D. University of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Schlenker Alex, Dr. Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador - Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Stevenson Lisa, Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, EEUU - McGill University, Canadá
- Tuaza Luis Alberto, Ph.D. FLACSO Ecuador
- Zamorano Gabriela, Ph.D. City University of New York, USA - Colegio de Michoacán, México