Research Master's Programs
List of admitted applicants to Master's programs 2014-2016
FLACSO offers a series of Research Master’s programs in necessary and contemporary topics for the development of Ecuador and other Andean countries. The purpose of the Research Master’s programs is to maintain standards of excellence in postgraduate teaching and link FLACSO Ecuador to the debates and processes of critical national and regional topics. The program exposes students to important professional development, both in the academic and research fields.
DescriptionThe Master's program trains professionals to specialize in the knowledge of a discipline or specific theme in the social sciences. Likewise, it trains professionals to apply their knowledge for the fulfillment of concrete academic and research objectives. The Master's program lasts 24 months, 18 months correspond to on-campus classes, while the remaining 6 months are devoted to the development of a thesis under the tutelage of a FLACSO faculty member or associated professor. To obtain a Master's degree, students must earn 64 credits: 48 corresponding to courses, 12 to thesis workshops and 4 to the Master’s thesis.
|Grading System||FLACSO has a grading system based on a 0 - 10 scale with a minimum grade of 7.1 (71%).|
|Academic Regime||FLACSO organizes its academic calendar in eight-week modules. Students may enroll in two subjects per module. From the third module onward, students are also enrolled in thesis workshops.|
The Master's thesis will consist of an individual dissertation, through which the student demonstrates his or her ability to develop a research problem and establish an argument or thesis. Students are required to always work with an advisor assigned by the university, who will accompany the student throughout the process of the development of the project until its final presentation.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Grades in previous university studies that average at least 80% of the maximum grade of that institution’s scale.
- Exclusive dedication of at least five hours daily to the teaching program.
- Completion of an academic aptitude examm.
- Proven ability to read and understand texts in English.
Application processAll applicants must complete an online form and attach all the required documents. The cost of the application is 30 USD. All applications will be submitted to the corresponding program’s selection process. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
ScholarshipsFLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants. The financial support policy offers the following opportunities:
- Monthly stipends.
- Discounts up to 100% off tuition.
- Educational loans through the Ecuadorian Institute of Educational Loans and Scholarships.
- Merit Scholarships.
- Scholarships for historically excluded groups.
- Disability Scholarships.
- Scholarships for students from other provinces.
- Scholarships for foreign students (not living in Ecuador).