Research Master's Programs - Political Sociology 2019-2021
Train researchers with adequate theoretical and methodological tools to understand the political processes of Ecuador and Latin America from an interdisciplinary, historical and comparative perspective. The program recovers a long intellectual tradition of Latin American social sciences that studies the relationships between social structures, political institutions and socio-political movements that accompany state building and democratic dynamics in the region.
Who is it for?
To professionals of the Social Sciences, communication, law, humanities and related areas, with a profile oriented to teaching, research and political analysis. We are looking for students who wish to consolidate their theoretical, analytical and methodological skills to understand Latin American sociopolitical processes. Applications from provincial students and public universities will be eligible for scholarship policies in the system.
The acquired training lays the foundations for an academic career (teaching and research) and for professional performance as analysts of social and political processes in Ecuador and Latin America. Graduates may continue their professional life in academic institutions, social organizations, political institutions or in public administration. They will also be suitable for admission to doctoral programs.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
Class scheduleMonday to Friday from 07h00 to 09h00. Some courses can be taught from Monday to Thursday from 17h00 to 20h00.
|Teoría social contemporánea|
|Estructuras sociales y dinámicas de poder|
|Estado, sociedad y política|
|Área metodológica||Lógicas de conocimiento en ciencias sociales|
|Métodos de Sociología política 1|
|Métodos de Sociología política 2|
|Talleres de tesis I, II y III|
|Área de especialización
||Acción colectiva y movimientos sociales|
|Construcción estatal en América Latina|
|Regímenes de acumulación y ciudadanías|
|Optativas del programa**||Sociedad civil, participación y ciudadanía|
|Sociología de las prácticas políticas|
|Ideología, cultura y discurso|
|Sociología histórica y comparada|
|Cambio, conflicto y violencia política|
|Procesos democráticos contemporáneos en América Latina|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- State configurations and power dynamics
- Social inequalities, citizenship and political structures
- Collective action, political conflict and democratic processes
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
CostAdmission application: $ 30
Registration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 8 500
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Profesora: Sofía Argüello - firstname.lastname@example.org
Asistente: María Belén Aguilar - email@example.com
- Argüello Pazmiño Sofía, Ph.D. Sociology, El Colegio de México, México
- Burbano de Lara Felipe, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- De la Torre Carlos, Ph.D. New School for Social Resarch, USA - University of Kentucky, USA
- Hurtado Edison, Ph.D. in Sociology, El Colegio de México, Mexico
- Paladino Martín, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, FLACSO México
- Ramírez Franklin, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, University of Paris VIII-Saint Denis and Complutense de Madrid
Full and associate professors
- Auyero Javier, Ph.D. New School for Social Research, EEUU - University of Texas at Austin, EEUU
- Barragán Rossana, Dra. École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Francia
- Brachet Viviane, Ph.D. Universidad de Wisconsin, Madison, EEUU - El Colegio de México, México
- Cadahia Luciana, Ph.D. in Philosophy of History, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Stoessel Soledad, Dra. Universidad de La Plata, Argentina - Universidad de La Plata, Argentina