Research Master's Programs - Sociology 2019-2021
The research master's degree in Sociology aims to train researchers in the analysis of social processes and practices. The program devotes special attention to the theoretical-methodological training, in order that the students acquire analysis tools and critical skills to understand a wide range of problems that cross the Ecuadorian and Latin American reality. As a transversal axis of study, this master's degree is particularly concerned with the processes of social inequality that are manifested in the interaction between globalization and local realities, between economy and society, and in the development of historical, political and social conflicts.
Who is it for?
The master's degree is aimed at professionals from the Social Sciences or similar who wish to enhance their theoretical-methodological capabilities for social research oriented to the production of knowledge about processes, institutions and social practices in Ecuador and Latin America.
The acquired training will allow a successful labor and academic insertion, as researchers, teachers and professionals capable of formulating and carrying out scientific research projects and professional activities in the fields of Sociology. They will be able to teach in Sociology and Social Sciences at the university level and for admission to doctoral programs.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
|Formación general|| Teoría social clásica
|Problemas en la formación de Estado Nacional en América Latina|
|Teoría sociológica contemporánea|
|Estudios críticos de clase, raza y género
|Economía y sociedad
|Sociología histórica y comparativa|
|Globalización y desigualdad social
||Métodos de análisis cualitativo|
|Métodos de análisis histórico y documental|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de Tesis I, II y III|
||Espacio y territorio, sociedad y poder
|Optativas del programa**||Teoría clásica
|Género, sexualidad y migraciones internacionales
|Precariedad y política en las desigualdades contermporáneas
|Sociedad civil y democracia participativa
|Refugio, desplazamiento y derechos humanos
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Globalization, migrations and inequalities
- Historical and political sociology
- Gender, development and citizenship
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application process' section of the online application form.
Entry ProcessAll applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistanceFLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
CostAdmission application: $ 30
Registration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 8 500
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
- Argüello Pazmiño Sofía, Ph.D. Sociology, El Colegio de México, México
- Cielo María Cristina, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Coba Lisset, Ph.D. FLACSO Ecuador
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- Deere Carmen Diana, Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, EEUU - University of Florida, EEUU/FLACSO Ecuador
- Goetschel Ana María, Ph.D. in Social Science, University of Amsterdam, Holland
- Gómez Carmen, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, EHESS, France
- Herrera Gioconda, Ph.D. in Sociology, Columbia University, USA
- Ortiz Santiago, Ph.D. in Social Sciences, FLACSO Ecuador
- Vega Cristina, Ph.D. in Philology, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain