Research Master's Programs - Comparative Politics 2019-2021
The main objective is to train researchers with theoretical and methodological skills to address the study of various social phenomena of comparative politics, understood as a subfield of Political Science.
Who is it for?
The Masters is directed to professionals in the social sciences field in general and political science in particular, interested in improving their theoretical background and methodological tools to describe and interpret the key political life of the countries of Latin America.
The graduates of the master's degree program are trained to enter the labor market as scientific researchers, university professors or public or private sector advisors. Given the emphasis on empirical analysis and the use of methodological tools to observe reality, the graduates of the master's degree program are provided with skills that allow them to also link in the field of consulting or political analysis.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
|Economía política comparada|
|Historia política de América Latina|
|Teoría de la democracia|
|Investigación||La lógica de la investigación científica en los estudios de política comparada|
|Métodos cualitativos y mixtos|
|Estadística aplicada a la política comparada|
|Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Partidos y sistemas de partidos|
|Sociedad civil, movilización y participación|
|Sistemas políticos comparados|
|Cortes de justicia y legislaturas en América Latina|
|Elecciones y procesos electorales|
Lines of investigation
Institutions, government and democracy with three fields of interest:
- Quality of democracy
- Comparative political economy
- Presidentialism, legislatures and courts
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
CostAdmission application: $ 30
Registration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 8 500
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Santiago Basabe - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: María Fernanda Almeida - email@example.com
- Basabe Santiago, Ph.D in Political Science, National University of San Martín, Argentina
- Burbano de Lara Felipe, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Carrión Fernando, Ph.D, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Curvale Carolina, Ph.D. in Political Science, New York University, USA
- De la Torre Carlos, Ph.D. New School for Social Resarch, USA - University of Kentucky, USA
- Hurtado Edison, Ph.D. in Sociology, El Colegio de México, Mexico
- Olivares Alejandro, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de Chile
- Pachano Simón, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Paladino Martín, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, FLACSO México
- Ramírez Franklin, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, University of Paris VIII-Saint Denis and Complutense de Madrid
Full and associate professors
- Alcántara Manuel, Ph.D. Complutense University of Madrid, Spain - University of Salamanca, Spain/FLACSO Ecuador
- Freidenberg Flavia, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain
- Meléndez Carlos, Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, USA - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Moncayo Patricio, Dr. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad de las Américas, Ecuador
- Polga-Hecimovich John, Ph.D. (c) University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Ramírez José, Dr. (c) FLACSO Ecuador - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- Sánchez Francisco, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain - University of Valencia, Spain