Research Master's Programs - History 2019-2021
The program will focus on the modern history of the Andean area, and around the areas of Political History, History of Science and Historical Memory. The mastery seeks to understand the history of the Andes in perspective connected with the regional and global, which implies a knowledge of the cultural and historical particularities of the region.
The master's degree seeks to train professionals with solid conceptual and methodological tools to perform as researchers, teachers and managers of historical knowledge. It fosters analytical and critical capacities in order to articulate empirical information with contemporary debates of historiography and social sciences in a framework of conceptual rigor and originality. Promotes research skills from which it is possible to recognize different voices, as well as the agency of minority social subjects.
Who is it for?
A graduates and professionals of the Social Sciences and Humanities with preference in those who have undergraduate studies in History and interest in research, teaching and dissemination. Applicants must possess skills in comprehensive reading of texts, in archival research and the management of different types of sources. The master's degree is addressed to those who seek to deepen theoretical methodological perspectives included in the curriculum of the master's degree, as well as in subjects that are inscribed in the lines and colloquia of the Department and in the research interests of the teachers.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
|Aproximaciones de historia global y conectada
|Historia política de los Andes
|Historia cultural de los Andes
|Especialización||Debates de historia de la ciencia
|Políticas de la memoria
|Debates de historia política
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Memoria e historia de los Andes y la Amazonía
|Ciencia y poder en el siglo XIX
|Historia, gobernabilidad y biopolítica
|Historia pública: interpretación, difusión, gestión y representación de la historia y la memoria
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
- Ardèvol Elisenda, Dra. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- Bretón Víctor, Ph.D. University of Barcelona, Spain
- Bustamante Teodoro, Ph.D. in Human and Natural Environment in Social Sciences, University of Salamanca
- Cañizares Esguerra Jorge, University of Texas, USA
- Chauca Roberto, Ph.D. en Historia, University of Florida, Gainesville, EEUU
- Coronel Valeria, Ph.D. in History, New York University, USA
- Cuvi Nicolás, Ph.D. in Science History, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- García Fernando, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, IDES-Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Goetschel Ana María, Ph.D. in Social Science, University of Amsterdam, Holland
- Kingman Eduardo, Ph.D. in Urban Anthropology, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Prieto Mercedes, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
- Salgado Mireya, Ph.D. in Social Science with specialization in Political Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Santillán Alfredo, Ph.D. in Social Studies, Universidad Externado de Colombia
- Thurner Mark, Ph.D. University of Florida
- Torres Alicia, Ph.D. in History of the Andes, FLACSO Ecuador
- Troya María Fernanda, Dra. Ecole de Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, EHESS, París, Francia
- Uzendoski Michael, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Virginia, USA
Full and associate professors
- Aljovín Cristóbal, Universidad San Marcos, Peru
- Chávez María Eugenia, Ph.D. Universidad Nacional de Medellín, Colombia
- Cortez David, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Glave Luis Miguel, Dr. Universidad Pablo de Olavide, España - Universidad Pablo de Olavide, España
- Guaderman Kimberley, Ph.D. Universidad de California, EEUU - Universidad de Nuevo México, EEUU
- Polo Rafael, Dr. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Portelli Alessandro, Dr. Universidad de Roma, Italia
- Salomon Frank, Cornell University, USA - University of Wisconsin, USA
- Sevilla Alexandra, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador
- Sevilla Elisa, Dra. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador