Research Master's Programs - Urban Studies 2019-2021
Who is it for?
The master´s is focused to professionals from different academic disciplines interested in specializing and develop their own interests, in the field of research and teaching of urban issues and management related areas of the city.
students of the master's degree will be able to insert themselves
professionally in the academic field, as professors and researchers
within programs related to the generation of knowledge in the
disciplinary area of urban studies, as in other fields that deal in a transversal way with the problems of cities. And
on the other hand, in the field of public and private management
through the formulation of public policies, projects, programs and
initiatives to organize, coordinate and direct urban processes.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
|Formación general||Sociología urbana
|Procesos urbanos en América Latina
|Economía urbana, globalización y territorio
|Especialización||Gobierno de la ciudad
|Ciudad y medio ambiente
|Planificación urbana y regional
||Métodos cualitativos de investigación social
|Métodos cuantitativos de investigación social|
|Métodos de análisis socio-espacial|
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de Tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Políticas urbanas
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Urban governance
- Urban Transformations and Collective Action
- Planning, urban economics and territory
- Public policies and territory
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
CostAdmission application: $ 30
Registration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 8 500
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Gustavo Durán - email@example.com
Assistant: Paula Heredia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Albornoz María Belén, Ph.D. en Social Sciences, National University of Cuyo, Argentina
- Barrera Augusto, Dr. Universidad Complutense de Madrid, España
- Córdova Marco, Ph.D. (c) in Social Science with specialization in Andean Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Durán Gustavo, Ph.D. in Urban Studies, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Espinosa Betty, Ph.D. in Economical Science and Management, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
- Fontaine Guillaume, Ph.D. in Sociology, University Paris III, Post-doctorate in Political Science, Sciences Po, France
- Janoschka Michael, Ph.D. University of Frankfurt, Alemania - FLACSO Ecuador
- Manosalvas Margarita, Dra. en Ciencias Sociales con especialización en Estudios Políticos, FLACSO Ecuador
- Mejía Andrés, Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, EEUU
- Narváez Iván, Ph.D. in Law, Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Rojas Ramiro, Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Planning, Universidad Federal de Río de Janeiro, Brazil
- Sabatini Francisco, Ph.D. University of California at San Francisco, EEUU
- Subirats Joan, Dr. Universidad de Barcelona, España
Full and associate professors
- Barba Solano Carlos, Dr. Universidad de Guadalajara, México - Universidad de Guadalajara, México
- Beach Derek, Ph.D. University of Southern Denmark - Aarhus University, Dinamarca
- Lora-Tamayo Marta, Dra. Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia-UNED, España - UNED
- Martí Marc, Ph.D. in Public Policy and Social Transformation, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Périlleux Thomas, Dr. EHESS, París, Francia - Universidad Católica de Lovaina, Bélgica
- Peters Guy, Ph.D. Michigan State University, EEUU -University of Pittsburgh, EEUU
- Roth André-Noél, Dr. Université de Genève, Suiza - Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Thomas Hernán, Dr. Universidad de Campinas, Brasil - Universidad Nacional de Quilmes, Argentina
- Tronco José del, Dr. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México - FLACSO México