Research Master's Programs - Socio-environmental Studies 2019-2021
The Research Master in Socio-environmental Studies aims to train researchers and professionals from a multidisciplinary approach, in the epistemological encounter between Social and Environmental Sciences, focused on the understanding of the complex relationships that are interwoven between human beings and nature mediated by political factors , social, economic and cultural. It sets out to situate contemporary environmental problems in their historical evolution, to understand the formation of environmental thought, different environmentalisms and the search for livelihoods that aim for sustainability.
Who is it for?
The Master's Degree is an academic space for research, training and extension aimed at professionals from the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, related engineering and humanities, who seek to insert themselves as researchers in academic fields, as well as those who intend to influence decision levels (public, private, non-governmental organizations, social movements, among others), in the design, planning, management and evaluation of policies and interventions in the environmental.
Research centers and universities (public and private), scope of local, regional and global environmental governance, in the state sectors (national and autonomous decentralized governments), non-governmental, international organizations. Students can be inserted into teaching and research in the socio-environmental field, as well as in the generation and evaluation of policies, environmental management, management for conservation, impact assessment and socio-environmental conflicts, and in decision-making and planning processes participatory and intercultural.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
(escoger 3 cursos)
| Ecología para las Ciencias Sociales
|Historia del pensamiento ambiental|
| Teorías del desarrollo
Cambio climático y energía
Métodos cualitativos de análisis de datos
|Taller de tesis||Taller de Tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Derecho ambiental
|Desarrollo sostenible, interculturalidad y cooperación
|Sociología de los conflictos ambientales|
|Evaluación de impactos ambientales
Teorías feministas y Ciencias Sociales
|Políticas de conservación de áreas protegidas
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Socio-ecological conflicts, environmentalism (s) and extractivism
- Natural and cultural diversity, intercultural relations and environment
- Dynamics, implications and proposals of environmental thinking
- Urban Ecology
- Urban environmental history
- Gender, environment and sustainability
- Energy, environment and society
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
- Bustamante Teodoro, Ph.D. in Human and Natural Environment in Social Sciences, University of Salamanca
- Dutt Amitava, Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, EEUU
- Falconí Fander, Ph.D. in Ecological Economics, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Fernández Juan, Ph.D. Innovation Economy, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Jácome Hugo, Doctor en Desarrollo Regional e Integración Económica, Universidad Santiago de Compostela, España
- Kay Cristobal, Ph.D. University of Sussex, Brighton, Inglaterra - ISS, Holanda/FLACSO Ecuador
- Krainer Anita, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Latorre Sara, Dra. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- López María Fernanda, Ph.D. in Human Geography, Universidad de Ratisbona, Germany
- Martín Fernando, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Martínez Luciano, Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle, France
- Oosterbeek Hessel, Ph.D. Universidad de Ámsterdam, Holanda
- Paredes Myriam, Ph.D. in Rural Development Sociology, University of Wageningen, Holland
- Pérez Wilson, Ph.D. en Economía, Cornell University, EEUU
- Ponce Juan, Ph.D. in Development Studies, Institute of Social Studies, Holland
- Vallejo María Cristina, Ph.D. in Development Economics, FLACSO Ecuador
- Vallejo Ivette, Ph.D. in Social Science, Universidade de Brasilia, Brazil
- Vera Leonardo, Ph.D. Universidad de Londres, Inglaterra - Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Vos Rob, Ph.D. en Economía, Universidad Libre de Ámsterdam, Holanda
Full and associate professors
- Aguiar Víctor, Ph.D. Brown University, EEUU - University of Western, EEUU
- Bedoya Eduardo, Ph.D. Universidad del Estado de Nueva York, EEUU - Universidad del Pacífico, Perú
- Cajas John, M.A. FLACSO Ecuador - Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Carrillo Paúl, Ph.D. University of Virginia, EEUU - The George Washington University, EEUU
- Chiasson-Lebel Thomas, Ph.D. Universidad de York, Toronto, Canadá -Universidad de California, Santa Cruz, EEUU
- Curiazi Roberta, Dra. Universidad de Bologna, Italia - Universidad de Bologna, Italia
- de los Reyes Juan Carlos, Dr. Universidad Karl Franzens, Alemania - Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador
- Favareto Arilson, Dr. Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil - Universidade Federal do ABC São Paulo, Brasil
- Martínez Diego, Ph.D. Universidad de París SACLAY, Francia - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Missaglia Marco, Ph.D. in Economics, University of Pavia, Italy
- Oleas Julio, Dr. Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador - Instituto de Altos Estudios Nacionales, Ecuador