Research Master's Programs - Political Sciences 2015-2017
To train scholars and professionals in the field of Political Science with enough theoretical and methodological tools to understand the contemporary political process, from an institutional to a social and cultural perspective, in order to perform high-quality research production and teaching.
Who is it for?
This program is directed to people who work in the field of social sciences and are interested on improving their capacities for teaching and research on Political Science subjects. In addition, it is focused to professionals from civil, social, political, national, regional and local organizations in order to get them involved in processes of political participation, or have elements of understanding of Ecuadorian and regional political processes.
Entrance exam: June 15, 2015
Interviews, selection and scholarship assignation process: from June 29 to July 10, 2015
Admission information: July 23, 2015
Admission decisions: From August 11 to September 11, 2015
Registration period: From August 17 to October 8, 2015
First day of classes: October 19, 2015
Scholarships, financial support and student loansFLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants. The financial support policy offers the following opportunities:
- Monthly stipends.
- Discounts up to 100% off tuition.
- Educational loans through the Ecuadorian Institute of Educational Loans and Scholarships.
- Merit Scholarships.
- Scholarships for historically excluded groups.
- Disability Scholarships.
- Scholarships for students from other provinces.
- Scholarships for foreign students (not living in Ecuador).
Payment methodsCash payments
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5%.
Students can pay tuition divided in eight payments before the start of a module.
IECE Student Loans
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Thesis scholarship fund
FLACSO Ecuador holds a regular competition to finance the best thesis projects presented by students from the institution’s diverse programs. The criteria used to assign this research scholarship are the academic performance of the applicants in their postgraduate studies and the quality of their research project. This financing applies only for thesis projects that have been formally accepted by the teaching programs in the corresponding academic cycle.
Admission application: $ 30
Registration Fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 6.000
Curriculum structureIn order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits
- A research workshop of twelve credits
- A doctoral thesis of four credits
Class scheduleFrom Monday to Thursday, 17h00-20h00. Some courses take place from 07h00 to 09h00.
|Formación general||Pensamiento político
|Teoría de la democracia
|Estado y poder
|Acción colectiva y movimientos sociales
|Investigación||Metódos de análisis político
||Taller de tesis I, II y III
|Sociedad civil y participación|
|Sistemas políticos andinos|
|Historia política del Ecuador|
* Ciertas materias podrían estar sujetas a cambios.
** Los/as estudiantes además pueden optar por el conjunto de cursos que ofrecen los distintos programas docentes de FLACSO.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent certification conferred by an accredited institution of higher education.
- A grade point average in their previous university studies equivalent to at least 80% of the maximum score of the scale used.
- To have at least five hours of exclusive dedication to the program.
- To take a test of academic aptitude.
- To have proven reading and comprehension in English language.
Applicants must complete an online application and include all required documentation. The application has a cost of US $ 30. Applicants have to be interviewed by faculty members. All applicants enter to a selection process.
- Alcántara Manuel, Ph.D. Complutense University of Madrid, Spain - University of Salamanca, Spain/FLACSO Ecuador
- Basabe Santiago, Ph.D in Political Science, National University of San Martín, Argentina
- Burbano de Lara Felipe, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Carrión Fernando, Ph.D, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Curvale Carolina, Ph.D. in Political Science, New York University, USA
- Hurtado Edison, Ph.D. in Sociology, El Colegio de México, Mexico
- Pachano Simón, Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Ramírez Franklin, Ph.D. in Political Sociology, University of Paris VIII-Saint Denis and Complutense de Madrid
Full and associate professors
- De la Torre Carlos, Ph.D. New School for Social Resarch, USA - University of Kentucky, USA
- Freidenberg Flavia, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain
- Meléndez Carlos, Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, USA - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Polga-Hecimovich John, Ph.D. (c) University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Roggeband Conny, Ph.D. Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands
- Sánchez Francisco, Ph.D. University of Salamanca, Spain - University of Valencia, Spain
- Sierra Wladimir, Ph.D. University of Berlin, Germany - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador
- Tovar Jesús, Ph.D. FLACSO Mexico - Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México