Research Master's Programs - Visual Anthropology 2019-2021
To train specialists in anthropological theories over the image trained in the use of the ethnographic method. The program gives special attention to the discussions about representation, ethics, politics and the borders between art and anthropology. The curriculum is designed to provide a solid background in visual anthropology, contemporary documentary, ethnography of the social life of images and dialogue between anthropology and contemporary art. In addition, it offers practical training in the managing technology of audio-visual production. This specialization is unique in the country and the first in Latin America.
Who is it for?
This program is directed to professionals who work in the field of anthropology, social sciences and visual arts that are interested on improving their capacities for research, teaching and interventions linked with the anthropology research and contemporary theories about visuality. The program is addressed to professionals involved in research, teaching, management and cultural creativity, photographic and documentary film production, and workers from private cultural institutions, NGOs and state institutions. The program is particularly interested in fostering intercultural discussion and encourages applications from African descent, indigenous students and sexual minorities.
Academic and applied research; teaching and training in anthropology and visuality, including audiovisual production; advice on issues of culture, cultural management and interculturality. Graduates of the master's degree can be inserted in national and local governmental bodies; in NGOs and private institutions; museums, archives and cultural centers, and in research centers.
In order to get a Master’s degree, students must complete 64 credits in total, divided in:
- 12 courses of four credits each with a total of 48 credits.
- A research workshop of twelve credits.
- 4 credits for the production and presentation of the master's thesis.
Class scheduleFrom Monday to Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Some courses will be held Monday through Friday from 07:00 to 09:00.
|Perspectiva histórica de la formación de las sociedades y naciones latinoamericanas
|Antropología e historia urbana
|Antropología e historia amazónica
|Antropología e historia andina
|Visualidad, antropología y arte contemporáneo
|Documental: fotografía, cine y memoria|
|Técnicas de producción audiovisual I
|Talleres de tesis||Taller de Tesis I, II y III|
|Optativas del programa**||Antropología de la representación
|Cuerpo y sociedad
|Medios y cultura
|Técnicas de producción audiovisual II|
* Certain matters might be subject to changes.
** The students in addition can choose for the set of courses that offer FLACSO's different educational programs.
Lines of investigation
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent certification by a duly certified higher education institution.
- Ability to read and understand texts in English.
- Have the means to finance the studies and study them with due dedication.
- Completion of an academic aptitude exam.
- Comply with all the specific requirements of the teaching
program to which you apply and those indicated in the 'Application
of the online application form.
All applicants will enter a selection process. Through the website: www.flacso.edu.ec, applicants must complete the application online, attach all required documentation and send it to FLACSO Ecuador. Selected applicants will be interviewed by FLACSO professors.
Stipend scholarships and financial assistance
FLACSO Ecuador has a scholarship and financial assistance policy for students admitted into its Master's programs. The policy is shaped by criteria of academic performance and by the socio-economic situation of the applicants.
- Application Deadline: until May 31, 2019
- Entrance exam: June 15 (saturday)
- Interviews to preselected: from June 24 to July 5
- Admission information: July 18
- Admission decisions: August 15
- Registration period: from September 19 to October 3
- Extraordinary registrations: October 4 to 18
- First day of classes: October 21, 2019
CostAdmission application: $ 30
Registration fee: $ 500
Tuition: $ 8.500
Students who pay tuition in cash have a discount of 5% (only in case of pay in cash or in check, with credit card discount does not exist).
Students can pay tuition up to 30 monthly installments without interest.
Students can pay tuition with credit cards, three months interest free or twelve months with interests.
Information:Teacher: Patricia Bermúdez - firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: Marcia Suárez - email@example.com
- Ardèvol Elisenda, Dra. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, España
- Bermúdez Patricia, Ph.D. in New Technologies, University of Bergen, Norway
- Bretón Víctor, Ph.D. University of Barcelona, Spain
- Cañizares Esguerra Jorge, University of Texas, USA
- Chauca Roberto, Ph.D. en Historia, University of Florida, Gainesville, EEUU
- Cuvi Nicolás, Ph.D. in Science History, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Ferraz Ana Lucía, Ph.D. University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- García Fernando, Dr. en Ciencias Sociales, IDES-Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Kingman Eduardo, Ph.D. in Urban Anthropology, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Spain
- Prieto Mercedes, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
- Salgado Mireya, Ph.D. in Social Science with specialization in Political Studies, FLACSO Ecuador
- Santillán Alfredo, Ph.D. in Social Studies, Universidad Externado de Colombia
- Thurner Mark, Ph.D. University of Florida
- Torres Alicia, Ph.D. in History of the Andes, FLACSO Ecuador
- Troya María Fernanda, Dra. Ecole de Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, EHESS, París, Francia
- Uzendoski Michael, Ph.D. in Anthropology, University of Virginia, USA
Full and associate professors
- Bilhaut Anne-Gaël, Dra. Université Paris X Nanterre, Francia - Instituto Francés de Estudios Andinos, Perú
- Burgos Hugo, Ph.D. The University of Iowa, USA - Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
- Cortez David, Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- Grünenfelder Barbara, Ph.D. Cultural Anthropology, City University of New York, USA
- Kohn Eduardo, Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, EEUU - McGill University, Canadá
- León Christian, Ph.D. University of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Núñez Jorge, Ph.D. en Antropología, Universidad de California, Davis
- Schlenker Alex, Dr. Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador - Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador
- Stevenson Lisa, Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, EEUU - McGill University, Canadá
- Tuaza Luis Alberto, Ph.D. FLACSO Ecuador
- Zamorano Gabriela, Ph.D. City University of New York, USA - Colegio de Michoacán, México